Facility Matching Funds
The Erie Sports Commission Facility Matching Funds Program was created to provide matching dollars for facility improvements and/or new equipment at locations that can host sporting events and tournaments. Facility improvements facilitated with ESC matching funds should be completed with the intention of attracting new sporting events, or growing existing events that can generate tourism. Awards are granted based on merit as determined by the established criteria and selected by the Erie Sports Commission.
Available Funds: $60,000
The Erie Sports Commission has a total of $60,000 to be awarded. Fund requests up to $15,000 will be considered, and in extremely rare circumstances, requests that exceed $15,000 will be considered. Approved project applications will receive a dollar-for-dollar match from the Erie Sports Commission. The deadline to apply is March 31, 2024.
Applicants must be located within Erie County, Pennsylvania and have facilities available to host tournaments and events that draw out-of-town participants. Facilities must indicate existing tourism-based events or targeted events in the program application.
Note: Preference will be given to applicants who are VisitErie partners in good standing at the time of application, as well as facilities who have not previously received funding through this program.
- Applicants may request an amount up to $15,000 to be considered. In extremely rare circumstances, applicants with requests exceeding $15,000 will be considered.
- Projects that have already been completed will not be considered.
- Applicants may apply once per cycle.
- Proof of payment for improvements must be provided before the Erie Sports Commission reimburses approved funding.
- A for-profit business that received a grant may be required to treat the grant as income and is responsible for paying any necessary taxes applicable thereto.
- Upon completion of approved projects, the applicant must notify the Erie Sports Commission of the project’s completion with proof of performance (to include receipts, photos, etc.). The ESC will also require a site visit upon completion. All projects must reach at least 50% completion by December 31 of the year the grant is awarded.
- Facility improvements made through the ESC Facility Matching Funds Program must be done with the intention of attracting new events that will drive new out-of-town tournaments or grow existing events and visitors to our region. All applications should address tourism.
- Participant contributions must be in cash, not trade.
- Once the grant is awarded and improvements are complete, the facility must allow the ESC to market the facility for future events and work closely with event organizers. Further recognition will be mutually agreed-upon following acceptance of the application.
- Any requests for equipment should directly lead to increased sports tourism for Erie County.
- Application deadline is March 31, 2024.