Event support grants are available for sporting event operators to assist with a variety of event costs related to promoting and growing events and generating tourism. Grants ranging from $500 to $5,000 are awarded at the discretion of the Erie Sports Commission based on the event’s ability to do one or more of the following:
- Generate significant overnight hotel visitation from out-of-area participants and spectators.
- Generate regional and/or national media exposure for Erie County.
- Increase out-of-area visitor spending.
The goal of Sports Tourism Event Grants is to support high quality amateur sporting events, competitions, conferences, and meetings that, in turn, advance and promote year-round tourism, economic impact and quality of life in Erie County through sport.
BASIC GRANT GUIDELINES
- Applications are accepted year-round
- Applications should be received no later than four months before the event date. Higher considerations may be given to those events that occur outside of our peak season (May-September).
- The ESC will review and determine potential funding status of an event. Approved applications will receive an Event Contract, Post Event Report form, ESC logos and Sample Out-of-Area Participant Survey to complete as part of the grant requirements.
- Funding is available once per year per organization.
- Promotion, Marketing, and Programming outside of Erie County
- Paid advertising and media buys outside of Erie County or that has reach outside of the Erie area
- Production and technical expense
- Site fees/costs
- Rights and/or sanctioning fees
- Event-specific operational expenses
Note: The categories for reimbursement will be listed in your agreement. Once a category has been approved, it cannot be changed. Only those categories listed will be reimbursed. If you are in doubt, it is strongly encouraged you check before submitting your grant.
- Building, renovating, and/or remodeling a facility
- Purchase of permanent equipment
- Debts that occurred prior to the event
- Printed program which solicits advertising
- Off-site hospitality or social functions which include alcohol
OVERVIEW OF GRANT TERMS
- Include the Erie Sports Commission logo on all printed materials and in all paid press and electronic broadcasts as well as website link to ESC website pertaining to the event. Final artwork including the ESC logo must be approved by ESC staff.
- Permitting the Erie Sports Commission to hang signage at the event and be given sponsorship benefits as per the value of the grant (or televised commercials/mentions where necessary).
- Grant recipient must work with the Erie Sports Commission to secure all room blocks. The event must maximize usage of all the Erie County hotel properties before the need to go outside the county lines becomes necessary.
- Provide participant data so that ESC officials can determine economic impact of the event on Erie County tourism.
- Agree to notify the Erie Sports Commission immediately if the event is canceled, rescheduled or downsized.
- Hold harmless the Erie Sports Commission from all claims, liabilities, causes of action and judgments arising out of the event.
TO RECEIVE INFORMATION
Mark Jeanneret, Executive Director
Erie Sports Commission
208 E. Bayfront Pkwy, Suite 201
Erie, Pennsylvania 16507